KJIPUKTUK (HALIFAX) – The 2023 North American Indigenous Games and Games merchandiser RegattaSport has partnered with local Mi’kmaq artist Randy Hamilton for new Games merchandise. The designs are inspired by Mi’kmaq culture and traditional art. The Official Games merchandise is produced and distributed by RegattaSport and is available online at naig2023.com
“We’re thrilled about this collaboration. Randy Hamilton’s bright and vibrant creations truly capture the excitement and diversity of the Games,” said Fiona Kirkpatrick Parsons, Chair, 2023 North American Indigenous Games Host Society. “It’s also a very memorable way to connect NAIG 2023 with Mi’kmaq art and culture; no doubt, these wonderful pieces will sell quickly!”
The designs feature a turtle, representing Turtle Island (North America) and the diversity of the athletes participating in the Games. The other design features an eagle, depicting three athletes in the Winners’ Circle of the honoured bird and Mi’kmaq petroglyphs.
“Through this collaboration, RegattaSport and NAIG had an opportunity to showcase authentic Indigenous art and include it in their products, reaching thousands of athletes and visitors,” said Randy Hamilton. “I’m happy to see NAIG and RegattaSport celebrating Mi’kmaq art through my work.”
“It is imperative that the cornerstone of the NAIG merchandising center around an Indigenous artist who represents the spirit and meaning to be Mi’kmaq,” said RegattaSport co-founders Chris Cookson and Joe Camillo. “Randy Hamilton’s work captures this and we’re so pleased to have him create what are amazing pieces of wearable art.”
Official Games merchandise for the 2023 North American Indigenous Games is available online at naig2023.com. Merchandise will also be available during the Games across the competition venues from July 15 to 23, 2023.
- Randy Hamilton is a Mi’kmaq visual artist from Sipekne’katik First Nation and has been designing and selling clothes for over two years from his own business Abyss 75
- RegattaSport was awarded the contract to be the official supplier of Games merchandise for the 2023 North American Indigenous Games in November 2022.
- RegattaSport was founded by Joe Camillo and Chris Cookson in 1988 and offers world-class performance gear for a range of water sports as well as more general fitness activities.
- RegattaSport was the official Games merchandiser for the 2023 and 2022 Canada Games.
- NAIG 2023 is welcoming over 5,000 athletes to Kjipuktuk in July 15 to 23 for the largest multi-sport and cultural gathering in Atlantic Canada
For more information:
Media & Communications Coordinator